Creamy, lime-infused sauce for tacos, wraps or a dip
This quick and simple cilantro aioli recipe is the perfect topping for your favorite meats, sandwiches or tacos!
Just like my Avocado Mayo, this cilantro aioli is creamy and filled with good-for-you fats that complement so many meals. You’ll love that this recipe is preservative-free, doesn’t use mayonnaise, and tastes so much fresher than anything you could buy at the store.
With just a few simple ingredients and a couple of minutes, you can have a jar of aioli ready to go in the refrigerator to use all week long. One of my favorite things to slather this sauce on is crunchy fish tacos or anything Tex-Mex, but the uses are truly endless!
How to make cilantro aioli
- Combine egg yolk, garlic, lime or lemon juice and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a food processor.
- While it’s running, slowly drizzle in olive oil in a thin stream – the mixture will begin to thicken as the oil is added.
- Stir in cilantro and cumin until combined. Add more salt if needed. (Makes about 1 1/2 cups of aioli)
PRO TIP: When adding the olive oil, be sure to add it slowly or the emulsion will break!
Key ingredients & substitutions
- Egg yolks – Remove the whites and only use the egg yolks to make the aioli. Yolks are high in fat and help create a truly creamy and thick sauce. To reduce the chances of the sauce breaking, bring the eggs to room temperature before processing. If you’re concerned about the potential for food poisoning from raw eggs, use pasteurized egg yolks.
- Lime juice – Lime juice adds flavor to this sauce but also acts as a stabilizer since it’s an acid. You can substitute lemon juice for lime juice if preferred.
- Olive oil – Oil helps create a thick and creamy emulsification for this sauce. If you don’t like the strong taste of extra virgin olive oil, use light olive oil. Just be sure that the oil is room temperature like the eggs, and that you add it in a very thin drizzle to keep the emulsification from breaking.
- Cilantro – You’ll love the fresh flavor cilantro adds to this sauce. Mince fresh cilantro before adding.
- Garlic – This ingredient is what separates aioli from regular mayo. Use fresh garlic or minced jarred garlic for this sauce.
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Cilantro Aioli Ingredients
Cilantro Aioli Directions
Add base aioli components
In a food processor, combine egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Start food processor to combine.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Slowly drizzle oil
While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil in a thin stream. The mixture will begin to thicken as the oil is added.
- 1 cup olive oil
Make it cilantro flavored
Once the oil has been added, toss in cilantro and cumin and mix until combined. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin