The Original Fathead Crust Pizza
Fat Head crust is the top recipe for keto pizza. This cheesy, low-carb, fat filled crust offers a chewy, bread-like texture, but a crispy underbelly crust. This pizza allows you to follow the ketogenic diet with ZERO compromise!
Unless you are brand new to the ketogenic, low carb lifestyle, you have probably heard of Fathead Pizza. It’s been a staple alternative to traditional high carbohydrate pizza for years.
Fathead dough, when used as the base for pizza, creates a crust that looks like real pizza crust and has a similar texture and flavor as well. It’s low in carbs and high in fat which makes it the perfect solution to pizza cravings on a keto diet. Top with a low carb marinara and your favorite toppings and you can easily enjoy keto pizza any night.
One of the reasons fathead pizza crust tastes so good is because it’s mostly made up of cheese! The mozzarella along with the almond flour yield a dense, crispy pizza crust packed full of flavor.
Before fathead pizza, most low carb folks were making pizza crust out of cauliflower. Cauliflower pizza crust is a pain to make. You have get most of the moisture out of the cauliflower in order to create the ideal texture. On top of that, cauliflower pizza crust doesn’t taste that great. Most keto recipes can still have that off-putting cauliflower flavor.
For the keto pizza recipe, you don’t need to add cream cheese to make the fathead dough. The texture and flavor is the same. The cream cheese in classic fathead dough recipes don’t add any purpose except they add calories and carbs! Yes, cream cheese as carbs so why add it in if it’s just not necessary?
- How to make keto pizza
- Recipe Details
- Similar recipes others love
- Fathead pizza crust history
- 3 reasons why keto pizza is amazing
- Other uses for fathead dough
- Keto pizza sauce
- Pizza toppings
- Tips for making keto pizza crust
- Storage and meal prep information
- Nutrition information: facts & macronutrients
How to make keto pizza
- Make fathead dough. Combine melted mozzarella cheese with almond flour, egg, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt using a food processor, electric mixer or your hands.
- Roll out pizza dough into a giant circle. For a crispy crust, pre-bake your fathead crust for a few minutes.
- Top your dough with pizza sauce, cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-18 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Key ingredients for keto pizza crust
- Mozzarella cheese – The cheese is a necessary ingredient in fathead dough. The melted mozzarella works similar to gluten in wheat flour to provide a flexible protein matrix to trap air bubbles as the dough bakes in the oven. Other cheese, especially hard cheeses, don’t work as well because they aren’t as stretchy as mozzarella cheese is when melted. Mozzarella cheese has a neutral flavor so you can’t really tell the pizza crust is made out of cheese!
- Almond flour – The foundation to this crust. It gives the cheese structure similar to flour. Sunflower seed flour can be used if allergic to nuts. Lupin flour is delicious alternative but you will need to cut the amount in half (3/4 cup) as it doesn’t measure cup for cup with almond flour.
- Egg – Will help hold the crust together.
- Baking powder – The leavening agent to help the keto pizza dough rise.
- Xanthan gum – Another ingredient that will work as a glue to hold the crust together so it keeps it shape. This can be omitted if sensitive to xanthan gum.
Keto Pizza Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Pizza Crust Ingredients
Keto Pizza Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Melt the cheese
Place mozzarella in a microwave-safe glass bowl. Microwave for about two minutes. Stir to combine and make sure all of the cheese is melted. You may need to microwave for additional time if all the cheese has not melted. Remove from microwave and let the mixture cool.
- Mozzarella cheese
Mix dry ingredients
In a large separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and seasonings, if using. Set aside.
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Xanthan gum
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Garlic powder (optional)
To a food processor, add melted mozzarella cheese, egg and dry ingredients.
- Melted cheese
- Dry ingredients
Knead pizza dough
Once combined, form a big dough ball. Knead the dough a couple of times on a lightly almond floured surface to ensure the dough is uniform in appearance and all ingredients are fully combined.
Layer between parchment
Place the ball in between two pieces of parchment paper. You can also just use a silpat mat if you have one of those, but having that top layer of parchment paper keeps the dough from sticking to you and your rolling pin. Plus it allows you to roll out a nice thin pizza crust.
Roll out crust
Roll out dough to desired thickness. Remove top parchment layer and place on top of a baking sheet.
Watcha gonna add?
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling.