Crispy taqueria low carb tacos shells
Keto Tacos are deliciously crispy and crunchy, similar to what you would find at your favorite taco truck or shop. These homemade taco shells taste like a corn, hard shell taco. With only two grams of net carbs per taco shell, these low carb tacos will become your new favorite Mexican food.
1 taco shell
Taco Tuesday is back! And without much effort, time or carbs for that matter. With just a few ingredients, you can make a crispy keto taco shell to fill with your favorite meat and fixings. With this keto taco shell recipe, you no longer have to settle for taco salads or keto tortillas filled with gluten and processed ingredients.
This keto taco recipe is a great time to use this homemade taco seasoning. Add your favorite toppings and fillings like lean ground beef, shredded chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, or salsa.
The most popular keto taco shell recipe is made out of cheese. Cheese taco shells are an easy hack for creating a crispy hard shell taco with a slice of cheese; however, you taco is overpowered with the flavor of cheese.
How to make keto tacos
These keto taco shells are very easy to make and only use four ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Pour in hot water and mix until combined.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Place each ball in between two circles of parchment paper and use a tortilla press or rolling pin to flatten it into a circle.
- Fry keto tortilla in avocado oil.
- Fill with your favorite taco fixings. I’m using ground beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, red onion, and cilantro.
You may be able to find these ingredients at a nearby whole food grocery store. If not, they are readily available from online retailers.
- Almond flour: Almond flour is used for the flour base. It has a neutral flavor that works perfectly here. Plus almond flour is readily available and is the most popular keto flour used.
- Protein powder: This provides the crispy, crunchy element to the low carb taco shell when it’s fried. This is a necessary ingredient and can’t be substituted. Look for low carb or zero carb protein powders.
- Xanthan gum: This is the glue that holds the tortilla together. Agar gum may also be used if you have some of that instead.
- Salt: A little salt is necessary for flavoring.
Keto Tacos Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Taco Shells Ingredients
Keto Tacos Directions
Mix dry ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, protein powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Almond flour
- Protein powder (low carb)
- Xanthan gum
Add water to form a dough
Pour in hot water and mix with a fork until combined.
- Water (hot)
Divide the dough
Divide the dough into 8 balls (about 2 inches in diameter).
Press or roll
Place each ball in between two circles of parchment paper and use a tortilla press or rolling pin to flatten into a circle about 6 inches wide. Leave each tortilla in between the parchment paper.
Fry into taco shells
Pour 1/2 inch of avocado oil into a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add tortilla and submerge in the hot oil let cook for a minute then using two spatulas fold tortilla over to form a taco shape. Let fry for about a minute or until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side after a minute. Cook until golden brown. Remove and let dry on a paper towel lined tray.
- Avocado oil
Fix your tacos
Fill with your favorite taco fixings. I’m using ground beef taco meat, lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, red onion and cilantro.