Keto Beef Stew
Hearty keto soup to warm your belly
Keto Beef Stew is a delicious meal perfect for a cold winter day. It's filled with beef stew meat, has a ton of flavor, and keto friendly vegetables. This comforting dish can be made in a Dutch oven, in the slow cooker, or in an instant pot. It's a dish your whole family will love.
This traditional beef stew recipe is made without potatoes which makes it perfect for a keto diet. In their place, we use daikon radish, which is similar to a potato (appearance, texture and flavor) and very filling.
Try to get the best stew meat or beef chuck roast you can find since it’s the best part of this dish. Keep in mind that this tougher meat needs to cook longer to get it tender. Once it’s softened, these chunks of beef will fall apart in your mouth.
- How to make keto beef stew
- Recipe Details
- Similar recipes others love
- How to thicken keto beef stew
- Instant Pot
- What can I substitute for potatoes in beef stew?
- Other substitutions
- Storage information & meal prep instructions
- Nutrition information: facts & macronutrients
How to make keto beef stew
Here are the brief instructions to make this stew. For the full description, see the recipe card below.
- Add butter to a large stock pot and melt over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the stew meat in a single layer and cook on all sides until seared. Remove and sear the next batch.
- Return all meat to the pot and stir to get up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the beef broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 60 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in arrowroot powder to thicken this keto stew if you decide to use it.
Serve and enjoy.
Key ingredients & variations
These simple ingredients combine to make a delicious keto beef stew.
- Beef – Can use beef stew meat or cut up chunks of beef from chuck roast or other roast beef.
- Broth or stock – Use chicken or beef broth; however, water can be used if you have neither.
- Red wine – Helps to depth the flavor of the keto stew recipe and acid from the wine tenderizes the beef.
- Vegetables – Used green beans, mushrooms, daikon radish, carrot, onion and garlic; however, any low carb vegetable can be used.
- Tomato paste – Add umami flavor to the stew.
- Thickener – Used to thicken up the soup so it’s not so liquidy; however, this is an optional ingredient.
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Beef Stew Ingredients
Keto Beef Stew Directions
Season beef (all cooking methods)
Season stew meat on all sides with salt and pepper.
Stove top instructions: sear and tenderize beef
Add butter to a large stock pot or Dutch oven and melt over medium high heat. Working in batches, add stew meat and cook on all sides until seared. Remove and sear the next batch. Return all stew meat to the pot. Add beef broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer for 60 minutes.
- Stew meat
- Beef broth or chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
Stove top instructions: add vegetables
Add remaining ingredients (except arrowroot powder or thickener) and let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add additional seasoning if needed. Add arrowroot powder as a thickener if desired.
Slow cooker instructions
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Instant pot instructions
Add butter and stew meat to the liner of the instant pot. Use SAUTE mode to sear the outside of the beef on all sides (working in batches to prevent steaming). Return all beef to the pressure cooker and add remaining ingredients except the thickener if using. Pressure cook on high for 25 minutes. Let pressure release natural for 10 minutes before releasing remaining pressure. Stir in thickener if using.