Mexican Coleslaw is an easy, flavorful, and side dish made with coleslaw mix, jalapenos, garlic, fresh lime juice, cumin, red onions, and cilantro. This Mexican cabbage slaw tastes delicious with your favorite main meals.
1 1/3 cups
This zesty take on traditional coleslaw uses fresh ingredients and is great with other Mexican recipes. For the best flavor, allow the dressing to sit for a few hours up to overnight to get the maximum jalapeno flavor. Control the spice level by taking out the jalapenos before serving or chopping them up and adding them in! Toss in shredded cabbage and your favorite salad fixing and this easy Mexican coleslaw is ready!
The tangy flavor of the dressing is the best part of this side dish recipe and makes the perfect burger or taco topping for summer cookouts or Taco Tuesdays.
What is Mexican coleslaw
These simple ingredients make up a tangy, fresh cabbage salad and homemade dressing.
- Avocado oil: This oil is a great addition to a healthy coleslaw and serves as the vessel for our coleslaw dressing.
- Jalapeño peppers: Use these whole peppers to infuse the oil to make a spicy cilantro lime dressing.
- Garlic, minced: Garlic is a classic addition to Mexican cole slaw.
- Lime zest and lime juice: Lime juice adds the necessary acid to break down the bag of coleslaw mix and infuse flavor.
- Cumin: This classic spice adds Mexican flavors to fresh coleslaw.
- Coleslaw mix: Buy a bag of this mix or a whole head of green cabbage or purple cabbage and shred it yourself.
- Red onion, thinly sliced: Red onions provide bold flavors to this delicious recipe.
- Cilantro: A little green touch of fresh cilantro right at the end elevates this perfect side dish.
How to make Mexican coleslaw
There are only a couple of quick steps to make this easy Mexican coleslaw recipe.
- Combine the ingredients: Add avocado oil, jalapeno slices, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, ground cumin, and salt to a small bowl.
- Let sit: Cover and put the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes up to overnight to allow time for flavor to combine.
- Toss with dressing: Remove the jalapenos and toss with the dressing.
- Serve: Add in the sliced red onions and cilantro and serve.
Mexican Coleslaw Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Mexican Coleslaw Ingredients
Mexican Coleslaw Directions
Preparing coleslaw dressing
Add avocado oil, jalapeno slices, garlic, lime zest & juice, ground cumin and salt to a small bowl. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes or overnight to allow time for flavor from jalapeno to infuse into the oil.
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ whole jalapeno, sliced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
Before serving, remove jalapenos from the coleslaw dressing. Toss dressing with coleslaw, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- 1 (14 oz) bag coleslaw mix or 1 head cabbage, sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro