Instant Pot Swiss Steak
This is a budget friendly way to feed your family juicy steaks using your Instant Pot
Turn tough cuts of beef like London Broil and round steak into juicy tender steak using your Instant Pot. Pour over a hearty tomato and mushroom based gravy for an easy Instant Pot steak recipe.
When it’s a busy weeknight, I love using my Instant Pot to make dinner. I can throw everything in there and it does most of the work. This Instant Pot steak recipe is one of those. Others that are my go-to Instant Pot dinner recipes are my taco soup and pulled pork.
Making steak in the pressure cooker is a simple way to turn normally tough, lean cuts of beef such as London Broil, Top Round or Bottom Round, into juicy tender steak. Our steak is seared to seal in the juices then braised in a tomato and wine sauce under pressure. A dish that would normal take over a few hours to slowly braise to perfect tenderness now is ready in about 45 minutes when we use the Instant Pot.
- How to cook steak in the Instant Pot
- Recipe Details
- Similar recipes others love
- What is swiss steak?
- What cut of beef is Swiss steak?
- Tomato mushroom gravy
- Storage information
- Nutrition information: facts & macronutrients
How to cook steak in the Instant Pot
- Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add oil and sear steaks on both sides until browned.
- Remove steaks and add onion, mushrooms and minced garlic. Stir and cook until almost softened.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, chicken broth and wine.
- Add in steak.
- Pressure cook high for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure manually.
- Steak – To make Swiss steak you want to use traditionally tough cuts of beef like London Broil, Top Round or Bottom Round. You can use roast or steaks.
- Vegetables – This recipe uses mushrooms, onion and garlic but you can customize to your taste preferences. Try adding broccoli, zucchini or celery.
- Diced tomatoes – One can of diced tomatoes is added to help tenderize the beef and for flavor.
- Chicken broth – Liquid is needed to braise the steaks in the Instant Pot. You can use chicken broth, beef broth or vegetable broth. Water will also work if you have neither.
- Wine – Red wine is preferred; however, this is an optional ingredient. Wine adds flavor to the sauce.
Steak in the Instant Pot Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Swiss Steak In The Instant Pot Ingredients
Instant Pot Swiss Steak Directions
Prepare steaks or roast
Pat steaks or roast dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper. Dust with arrowroot powder or your favorite thickener if using.
- Salt & pepper
- Arrowroot powder (optional)
Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add avocado oil. Once oil is heated through, add steaks to the liner of the Instant Pot. Do not crowd the steaks, leave room for steam to escape in order to get a proper sear and crust on the outside of each steak. You may have to work in batches. Sear on all sides. Remove steaks and set aside.
Saute onions and mushrooms
To the liner of the Instant Pot, add diced onions, mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Sauté until almost softened. Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth and red wine, if using.
- Onions (diced)
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Garlic (minced)
- Diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Red wine (optional)
Return steaks to the Instant Pot and submerge within the liquid. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and turn the vent to seal. Pressure cool on high for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before sliding or pressing the nob to vent remaining pressure.
Remove steak. To thicken the sauce, turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and let sauce reduce. Add more arrowroot powder or your favorite thickener if needed. Pour sauce over steak once finished.