Keto Philly Cheesesteak
A quick, budget friendly way to enjoy Philly Cheesesteaks
Keto Philly Cheesesteak is a fast and easy weeknight meal that's perfect for busy families. It differs from a traditional Philly cheesesteak in that it uses ground beef which is easier to find and less expensive than steak. It’s ready in less than 15 minutes and is a great way to serve all your family members a meal everyone will love.
They’re great for meal prep because there are only a few steps that you can easily do before heading out to work in the morning. They fit wonderfully into a keto diet because they’re low-carb, and you have the option of using a keto-friendly bun or opting out. You would even customize these keto philly cheesesteak sandwiches by removing some or all of the bell pepper and onions or using all provolone cheese instead of American. This will lower the carb count to fit your daily goal.
This easy meal has the flavors of your favorite sandwich but is adapted to fit into your lifestyle. You can also turn it into a keto casserole recipe by pouring the beef mixture into a baking dish, topping with sliced provolone cheese in a single layer, and baking until golden brown and bubbly.
- How to make keto philly cheesesteak sandwiches
- Recipe Details
- Similar recipes others love
- Low carb bun options
- What to serve with keto philly cheesesteak
- Storage information
- Nutrition information: facts & macronutrients
How to make keto philly cheesesteak sandwiches
There are only a few steps to make this easy skillet dinner.
- Heat avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add ground beef and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning and continue to cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in green bell pepper and onion. Cook until slightly softened.
- Lower the heat to low-medium. Top with American cheese and provolone cheese. Cover.
- Stir the melted cheese into the ground beef.
- Serve by itself or over a toasted low carb bun.
These simple ingredients can be found at your local grocery store.
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is very healthy and has a high smoke point. You can also use olive oil if you prefer.
- Ground beef: Ground beef is easily accessible and doesn’t require any extra steps. Feel free to substitute with ground chicken, ground turkey or even thinly sliced sirloin steak if you have it.
- Salt: Kosher salt is free from additives to prevent caking and is considered the best option for cooking.
- Garlic powder: A little garlic powder adds seasoning to the dish. Freshly minced garlic can be used as well.
- Pepper: Freshly ground black pepper is a must when cooking cheesesteak.
- Green bell peppers: Thinly slice the bell peppers, so they cook evenly with the beef and onions. Or chopped them up into cubes so your kids have no choice but to eat them.
- Yellow onion: Yellow onions have the lowest overall carbohydrate total. Thinly slice onion or finely chop so your kids can’t tell they are in there.
- American cheese: American cheese does have carbs, so it can be omitted, or you can use all provolone cheese. But it does give a delicious cheesy, gooey flavor.
- Provolone cheese: Provolone is an excellent option because of its meltiness. You can also use mozzarella cheese.
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Ingredients
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Directions
Cook & season ground beef
Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Continue to cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Avocado oil
- Ground beef
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Dice pepper and onions
Finely dice green bell pepper and onions into small pieces.
- Green bell pepper
Add peppers and onions
Stir in bell pepper and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened.
Make it cheesy
Lower the heat to low-medium. Top with American cheese and provolone cheese. Cover and let cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- American cheese
- Provolone cheese
Stir and serve
Stir melted cheese into ground beef. Serve by itself or over a toasted low carb bun.