Your favorite nacho cheese chips turned low carb
Crispy nacho flavored keto Doritos are easy to make and involve minimal ingredients. No need to stare down the chip aisle in a longing sadness because now you can make your favorite nacho tortilla chip!
It’s hard to pass up Doritos. Those cheesy tortilla chips are kryptonite. Luckily, I found a way to turn a snack food favorite into a keto version. Just like I did with Twinkies, tortilla chips and Hostess cupcakes, we now have a low carb nacho chip to snack on.
Keto doritos are the perfect substitute went you want to crunch on something cheese. And of course, these keto chips will leave your hands with the wonderful cheesy residue – perfect for licking!
You only need a few ingredients to make these and they really only take about 10-15 minutes to make. Using my base keto tortilla chip recipe, we can turn these low carb chips into Doritos with the addition of a few spices and seasonings.
How to make keto doritos
- Make keto tortilla chips by combining almond flour, protein powder, xanthan gum, salt and water.
- Roll dough into a very thin sheet using a rolling pin.
- Cut into triangle shapes.
- Fry in avocado oil until golden. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Make Doritos nacho seasoning by combining cheddar cheese powder, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt.
- Add chips to a plastic bag or bowl and add nacho seasoning.
- Toss to coat each chip with nacho flavoring.
- Almond flour – The almond flour provides substance to our chips. It also creates a beautiful golden coloring when it is fried in oil.
- Protein powder – A necessary ingredient to help crisp up the chips. Try to look for a low carb unflavored protein powder. I used a zero carb protein powder from Isopure.
- Xanthan gum – Helps to hold the dough together especially when rolling out into a thin layer. That way you can roll the dough super thin without the dough tearing easily.
- Cheddar cheese powder – Provides the cheesy flavoring to these nacho cheese doritos.
- Chili powder – Gives these low carb doritos a slight spicy flavor.
- Smoked paprika – This is the key ingredient to getting that authentic Doritos nacho flavor.
Keto Doritos Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Doritos Ingredients
Keto Doritos Directions
Make dough for tortilla chips
In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, protein powder, xanthan gum and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Pour in hot water and mix until dough forms.
Roll out to a thin sheet
Place dough in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out in all directions using a rolling pin, forming a rectangle shape, until the dough is very thin. The thinner the dough, the crispier the chip.
Cut triangle shapes
Cut dough into triangle shapes using a pizza cutter or a knife. Let sit for 5-10 minutes while oil heats up.
Fry the chips
In a large skillet, add enough avocado oil to cover the chips as they fry. Heat oil to medium heat. Once hot, add a few triangles to the oil (enough to cover the surface) and fry until golden. You can flip the chips if desired. Remove the chips with a slotted spatula or spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
Make nacho cheese seasoning
In a small bowl, whisk together cheddar cheese powder, chili powder, smoke paprika and remaining salt.
Add chips to a plastic bag or bowl and add seasoning. Toss to evenly coat tortilla chips.