Perfect New York style sugar-free cheesecake without using a water bath
Slice into heaven with this silky, creamy New York style keto cheesecake. With this foolproof method, you can have the perfect cheesecake without having to bake your cheesecake in a water bath to prevent cracking.
Cheesecake has always been a classic dessert loved by many. It’s right up with there with other iconic desserts like chocolate cake, brownies and pumpkin pie.
This silky dessert can be a labor of love if you are making a baked New York style cheesecake with eggs and cream cheese. There are some important steps to follow to ensure you have perfectly creamy, silky classic cheesecake that doesn’t crack or deflate. With this method, you don’t have to use a water bath to prevent cracking. This method for making plain cheesecake is very easy. Soon you can enjoy your favorite dessert with strawberry syrup on top or caramel sauce.
How to make keto cheesecake?
Making keto cheesecake recipe is pretty simple– but there are many factors that can cause it to flop. It would still taste delicious, but for a perfectly puffed cheesecake free of cracks and lump, you want to follow these steps and tips.
- Bake the keto graham cracker crust in a tightly fitting springform pan.
- Cream three blocks of softened cream cheese together with salt and sweetener. Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice. Stir in egg yolks and whole eggs. Mix just enough until evenly incorporated.
- Add filling on top of cooled crust in the springform pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 200 degrees and continue baking until internal temperature of the center of the cheesecake is 150 degrees.
- Remove from oven. Loose the edges of the cheesecake with a knife. Let sit at room temperature for until cool (about 2 hours), then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
Tips for making the best low carb cheesecake
- Use softened cream cheese & room temperature ingredients. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature and your cream cheese has softened to room temperature. This will ensure the cream cheese creams smoothly to form a velvet texture. Using cold ingredient can result in a lumpy, chunky cheesecake.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl as you mix. Constantly scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula while mixing will allow for even incorporation of ingredients.
- Don’t overmix. Overmixing the cheesecake filling will allow too much air to get trapped in the batter from the eggs. This will cause the cheesecake to expand too quickly while baking which will lead to cracking and deflating.
- Use a water bath or the initial high heat blast method. To keep your cheesecake from cracking, the method laid out in this recipe with an initial high heat blast to help set the edges and then lower the temperature to slowly bake the cheesecake without risk of cracks. A water bath can be used as well. The water will create steam to help puff up the cheesecake as it bakes.
Key ingredients in cheesecake filling
- Block cream cheese – Get the full-fat block style cream cheese. Don’t get the spread or whipped variety. You will not get the same result.
- Salt – Salt in a necessary ingredient in most dessert recipes to help enhance the sweet flavor.
- Sweetener – The sugar-free sweetener used in this recipe was a monk fruit erythritol blend sweetener. Other sweeteners like allulose will work as well, as long as they measure cup for cup with sugar.
- Sour cream – Add stability, richness and softness to your cheesecake. A low carb greek yogurt can be uses in place of sour cream if desired. You may be able to use heavy cream. It will yield a soft cheesecake but it might affect the structure a bit.
- Vanilla extract – No classic plain cheesecake is complete without a little vanilla flavor.
- Lemon juice – Sounds odd, but lemon juice helps to brighten up the flavor of the cheesecake. You have to add this. Your cheesecake won’t be quite as good without it.
- Egg yolks & eggs – A necessary ingredient if you are making New York cheesecake, the eggs help with structure and to thick the cheesecake. Egg yolks work as an emulsifier to create a silky, velvet texture.
Keto Cheesecake Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar free brown sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 dropperfuls graham cracker flavoring or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Sugar-Free Cheesecake Filling Ingredients
- 24 oz (3 blocks) cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar free sweetener
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
Keto Cheesecake Directions
Preheat oven and prepare the pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the inside of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
Make keto graham cracker crust
In a food processer, add almond flour, coconut flour, brown sugar sweetener substitute, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Pulse a few times to combine. Add cubed butter and flavoring. Pulse until coarse crumbled form.
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Sugar-free brown sweetener
- Baking powder
- Xanthan gum
- Butter (cubed)
- Vanilla extract or graham cracker flavoring
Press crust into pan and bake
Press the keto crust ingredients into the prepared springform pan. Make sure you press into an even layer along the bottom and a little bit up the sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
Prepare cheesecake filling
In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium-low speed until cream cheese is slightly softened, about 1 minute. Mix in salt and half of the sweetener. Continue mixing for 1 minute. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and add in remaining sweetener. Mix until combined.
- Cream cheese (softened)
Classic cheesecake flavor
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Beat at low speed until just combined.
- Sour cream (room temperature)
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
Add egg yolks and continue mixing at medium low speed until combined. Scrape bowl and add remaining eggs two at a time. Mix until combined (about 1 minute).
- Egg yolks (room temperature)
- Eggs (room temperature)
Pour and bake
Pour keto cheesecake filling on top of crust in the springform pan. Place pan on a cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 200 degrees and continue baking until center of the cheesecake reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees (about 1 1/2 hours). Remove from oven. Let cool for a few minutes then slide a knife around the edges to loosen from the sides. Continue cooling at room temperature for 1-2 hours before wrapping with plastic wrap and placing in the refrigerator to finishing cooling (about 3 hours).
To unmold cheesecake from the springform pan, flip the latch to remove the side. Let cheesecake stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
Am I the first to review! Yikes. I just want to say this is such a great recipe! My cheesecake is so rich and filling.
Just made mine. Looks amazing too. I used about 4 T of swerve brown sugar in crust to make it sweeter. I only used about 3/4 cup, mix of alulose & erythritol & a few drops of stevia. Used the 450 for 10 minutes baking time then reduced to 200 and it was beautiful holden in 45 minutes. Let cool in oven for a bit. Can’t wait to taste.
Can’t wait to hear how it turned out! 🙂
Excellent! We made it last night and just tasted it. Very impressed!
WOW! My “sample” taste was really good! Mine did not get that golden brown color over the top – it is almost yellowish – I even put it back in the oven longer thinking it wasn’t done. But, it does really taste so good and creamy! I was afraid to over mix it and some of the sweetener didn’t dissolve completely. But for the first time making it – it’s really good. I will try adding a little bit of extra sweetener to the crust next time. Will make the yummy strawberry syrup to go with it for my family when I serve it. Great recipe!
It’s in the over right now. How do you know when the center is 150 degrees? Do you stick a thermometer in the middle?
Yes, stick a thermometer in if you have one or just bake until slightly jiggly.
Baked yesterday and was underwhelmed by the flavor and texture. Kids loved it with a “gourmet” drizzle of choc syrup. BUT then I had another bite the next day and it was AMAZING!! All kids couldn’t stop eating it WITHOUT added sugars. Yummm! Thank you!
Speaking of kids – I want to make cupcake size for kids. Can you guys prep the recipe for a cupcake size/12 pcs for us????????
I haven’t tried baking the cheesecake in muffin tin so I’m not sure how well it would turn out. Everything will take less time to bake. Bake the crust until it starts to turn golden (maybe 6-7 minutes). Do the initial 450 degree heat for 5 minutes then lower to 200 and cook until the internal temp of one is 150 degrees. I’m not sure how long it would take but I would check them after 30 or 45 minutes.
I just made this cheesecake today and it is in the fridge now cooling. Tomorrow when I remove it from the springform pan I want to freeze it for a luncheon I’m going to in a couple of weeks. Can this cake be frozen? If so, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can freeze cheesecake!