Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Despite being a low-carb chocolate mug cake, this dessert tastes delicious and wholesome. The texture comes all fluffy and tempting that even the connoisseur chocolate lover will forget it is any different from the regular, fat-full cakes. Above all, when it is homemade, you know it is fresher and available at any time.The next best thing about this easy keto dessert is that making it doesn’t take very much time. Just a couple of minutes is all you need to make this single-serving delight. Top with fresh keto whipped cream for the ultimate indulgence.
What is a Mug Cake?
A mug cake is, quite literally, a cake that is in a mug, which is prepared in a microwave. They are designed to be easy, portion controlled desserts that you can make quickly to satisfy cravings when they hit!
Mug vs Ramekins for Making Mug Cakes
Traditionally, the mug cakes are mixed and baked in a mug, hence the name. But if you don’t have heat-resistant cups or just want to serve your keto chocolate mug cake with a cute presentation, you can use a ramekin
too. You can mix and bake the dessert in a mug and later transfer it to a pretty ramekin. Or if your ramekin is large enough, you can start using it for all things cake, right from mixing to serving.Whether you use a mug or a cute ramekin, remember to coat it with cooking spray before filling to avoid a sticky situation.
Portion Controlled Keto Desserts
Unlike a strict keto diet that puts a complete ban on sugary sweets, portion control calls for a moderate intake at a time. In other words, don’t overeat, not even the healthy sugar-free chocolate mug cake.The benefits of portion control are not limited to maintaining a healthy weight, but also include:
- Easy food digestion
- Feel more energized throughout the day
- Controlled blood sugar levels
- No ingredients wasted
- Less dirty dishes
How to Make a Sugar-Free Chocolate Mug Cake in the Microwave?
Making the easy keto dessert in a microwave takes minimal effort.
- Use a microwave-safe mug or a sufficiently-sized ramekin with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredient like almond & coconut flour, cocoa, and monk fruit sweetener in it.
- Stir and add any other optional ingredient you might want (think flavor extracts like vanilla or coffee to enhance the sweetness of the chocolate).
- Put the mug or ramekin in the microwave and give it around 60 seconds until batter appears to be all fluffy. Do not microwave for more than 90 seconds.
- Allow keto chocolate mug cake to cool and enjoy.
Baking the Keto Chocolate Mug Cake in the Oven
Want to go traditional with an oven? Here is the keto chocolate mug cake recipe for it:
- Use a ramekin instead of a mug (your mug may not be oven safe)
- Mix all ingredients in the ramekin
- Stir to make a batter
- Put the ramekin in the pre-heated oven at 325 degrees F for 5-10 minutes
- Allow the cake to cool and enjoy
How to Make a Dairy-Free Keto Chocolate Mug Cake?
If you need the delicious mug cake to be dairy-free, replace butter with ghee (highly-clarified butter) or coconut oil. These are great dairy-free fat options when keto baking.
Keto Approved Chocolate
Keto approved means chocolates that are free of sugar and sugary alcohol. This recipe uses cocoa powder for the chocolate flavoring. Make sure you grab a cocoa powder that is 100% unsweetened cocoa powder. Some cocoa powders contain sugar and added carbohydrates.
Can I Make a Larger Cake with this Recipe?
Yes, you can! Just use triple or 4-times the recipe ingredients, pour them into a greased square-shaped baking dish or cake pan, and bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes.