Keto Yule Log
The easiest Keto Yule Log recipe you will EVER make! This recipe simplifies the traditional Bûche de Noël by eliminating the need for rolling the spongy low carb chocolate cake into a towel and then unrolling it to add the cream filling.
The Yule Log cake, also known as Bûche de Noël, is a traditional holiday dessert that usually requires a lot of effort and results in many tears – if your cake cracks when you roll it. I speak from experience on that one! This low carb version of the Christmas classic streamlines the process yielding a perfectly rolled chocolate keto cake with whipped cream filling and sugar-free chocolate ganache.
What makes this recipe different?
- It’s low carb – From the gluten-free cake to the sugar-free whipped cream filling and the rich ganache, each slice of this roulade is keto with only 3 grams carbs per slice!
- Roll the cake once – To make it easy for novice bakers, there is no need to lift the sheet cake out of the baking sheet before rolling or no need to roll and unroll the cake in a towel prior to adding the filling. All of these extra steps only increase the chances that you cake is going to crack or break. Instead, this keto yule log cake recipe lets you leave the baked sheet cake in the pan while you spread on the filling and roll the cake ONLY ONE TIME for a crack-free experience.
- Silky chocolate ganache – Instead of using buttercream frosting, a delicious mousse-like chocolate ganache is spread around the cake. Run a fork through the silky ganache to mimic the rugged texture of a fireplace log.
- Perfectly moist – Instead of using a ton of eggs to make the keto cake which can easily dry out the chocolate cake, this recipe only uses 2 eggs (a typical amount seen in traditional non-keto roulade recipes) while keeping the spongy chocolate roll, light and airy.
What is a Bûche de Noël?
A Bûche de Noël, also known as a Yule Log, is a traditional Christmas dessert that originates from France. It is a rolled cake designed to resemble a burning Yule log on the fire.
Keto Yule Log Cake Recipe Video
With 100s of videos and millions of views, Ketofocus is one of the most popular Keto channels on YouTube.
Keto Chocolate Cake Ingredients
Cream Filling Ingredients
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
Keto Yule Log Directions
Prepare baking sheet
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray cooking oil on a rimmed half baking sheet or jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat fiber, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 oat fiber
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, cream butter for 3-4 minutes with an electric mixer until light in color and fluffy. Stir in both sweeteners and cream until fluffy. Add sour cream and eggs. Mix until incorporated.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar-free sweetener
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs, room temperature
Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
Spread cake batter
Evenly spread cake batter onto the baking sheet, reaching all the sides and ensuring the top is smooth.
Bake the cake
Bake at 350 °F for 12-14 minutes or until cake is set on top. Remove cake from oven and let sit in the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Run a knife along the edges to keep the cake from sticking to the edges. Leave in the cake pan to cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until thickened. Add powdered sweetener and vanilla. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar-free sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Once cake is cool enough to add filling without it melting, spread on an even layer of filling on top of the cake covering from edge to edge.
Roll the cake
To roll, start from one short edge of the sheet cake. Grab hold of the parchment paper underneath the cake and pull, using it as your guide to roll the cake tightly. Continue rolling all the way through. Place rolled cake in the freezer while work on the ganache. If cake cracks, don’t worry, you will cover it up with the ganache.
Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer. Add chocolate to a medium bowl. Pour heated cream over chocolate and let sit for 2-3 minutes to soften the chocolate. Slowly stir until combined and melted. Let sit until room temperature or a little cooler. Then beat the chocolate mixture with an electric mixer until thickened and pudding like consistency.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz sugar-free chocolate
Cut a branch off
Removed rolled cake from the freezer. Let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Diagonally cut a 2-2.5 inch section off one end. Place the cake on the serving platter. Place the angled side against the side of the roll, forming a branch. Spread thickened ganache all over the top and sides of the cake.
Use a fork to make textured lines resembling tree bark by sliding the fork prongs into the ganache. Garnish with rosemary and sugared cranberries if desired.