Low Carb Grilled Asparagus Recipe
With the asparagus in season, you don’t need to rely on mundane salads anymore for a keto side dish. Crispy, tasty, and nutritional, this keto grilled asparagus is easy to make since you can wrap it in foil and place it on your BBQ to cook. Keto grilled asparagus in foil also makes the perfect camping recipe. It is here to satiate the rumbling stomach. To prepare this tasty side dish, all you need is asparagus, salt & pepper and olive oil. Add some lemon juice and parmesan cheese to add a punchy, cheesy flavor.
Is Asparagus Keto Friendly?
YES! Asparagus is a low-carb, green veggie with the perfect blend of crunchy and soft. The versatile keto vegetable not only adds a pop of color to your meals but also provides healthy nutrition. The carbohydrate count is low with 2.4g per 1 cup. And there asparagus is an important vegetable that contains many vitamins and nutritients, like Vitamin A, C and Folate.
Picking Ripe Asparagus
Grilled asparagus in foil will taste better when prepared with tasty ripe asparagus. But how do you know which stalk is freshly ripened? Here are some tricks to understand it.
- Pick the firm stalk with unwilted, tightly-held tips
- Make sure the color of the spear tips is not faded
- Purchase it from a grocer who stores his/her stalks in freshwater
- For delicacy and tenderness, pick thin spears
- For robust flavor and meaty texture pick thick spears
Buying the stalks when they are in season will also cost less. The vegetable is harvested between late February through June. You could enjoy the asparagus keto camping recipes as much as you want.
How to Store Asparagus
Storing and keeping asparagus fresh is similar to that of flowers or herbs. The best way is to store it in stalks. Bundle the spears using a rubber band and trim an inch off the ends of the vegetable. Keep the bunch upright in a glass or jar full of 2-cup fresh water. Loosely cover the bunch with a plastic bag and store it in the fridge. In case the water starts to look translucent, change the water.This storage method will keep asparagus fresh up to more than one week. This way, you could buy it in bulk and cook keto grilled asparagus regularly.
How to Make a Foil Pack for Grilled Asparagus?
Folding a foil pack for grilling purposes is easy. With the tips and tricks mentioned below, you will be able to make an efficient foil pack in no time.
- Cut a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. If you are using standard foil, use two layers to be extra safe in case one tears up.
- If the foil is not non-stick, note that the dull side is non-stick.
- Spray olive oil on the foil and put about a pound of asparagus spears on the sheet.
- Use hands to toss the veggie and make sure it is coated in oil to avoid sticking.
- Place another sheet on it and seal up the foil into a pocket-like shape. Don’t keep the seal too tight. The idea is to leave room for heat and steam to move around but keep the moisture from escaping.
- Roll both the edges tightly, and your foil pack is ready go to on the grill.Note that if you are making the foil pockets ahead of time, you can store them in the refrigerator.
Preparing Grilled Keto Asparagus
Preparing asparagus takes less than 10 minutes. Start by washing the bunch in freshwater with their tip-side down. Once done, towel them dry. Next, cut about an inch off the ends of every spear in the bunch. Make sure you do not leave a single end uncut because they are woody and can be hard to digest.If needed, you can also peel off the bottom skin of the spears using a peeler or a sharp knife.